Wednesday 3 June 2009

Getting back into gear.....

I've been a bit absent from my usual web life for the past couple of weeks. Sadly my beautiful Mum has been diagnosed with breast cancer. She's going through some surgery at the moment and hoping to start chemo in the next few weeks. Being on patient and family side of the healthcare equation for a change is not really where we wanted to be but I suppose its just a case on putting one foot in front of the other for now.....

Anyway life plods on and I have some new and exciting things happening.....

I'm really looking forward to doing a session on the MSc in Assistive Technology course at Coventry university in a couple of weeks. I'm talking to the students about assessment in my area of practice and what I'm hoping they will get out of it is the importance of all the contextual factors beyond the client themselves. By that I mean the ability of the persons environment (social and physical) to support their needs, and the influence of cultural aspects. Anyway this is a very brief post and I will write more after the session and maybe post the powerpoint.

Last week I was down at UK OT HQ aka COT/BAOT offices in London. I was recently appointed to one of the professional practice seats on the Membership and External Affairs board. I've been a member of BAOT for 12 years but never really taken an active role. Following the Disability Forum networking day I attended last year I really felt motivated to get involved, so after a gentle (and much appreciated!) shove from a OT colleague I applied for the role.

I had a really interesting day learning more about the board and the work of the OTN, BJOT and the website progress. It was good to be able to comment on the excellent projects underway. I was excited to be able to offer some opinions on how the organisation could make the most of media such as blogs, twitter and facebook to promote OT and membership. I was really pleased that people were very positive about my intention to use these channels to relate my experience as a new board member. As you might have guessed I think it will be so important to BAOT to use these tools to help current and potential OTs feel connected to their professional colleagues and their professional organisation.

Are there any BAOT members out there reading the blog? Leave a comment or tweet me to let me know your thoughts about how web2.0 could help you connect.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that.I went through that a few years ago - www.caringbridge.org/ca/kathy. Mom had stage IV breast cancer and is now like four years out and fine...I know each person is different, but the key is HOPE, my friend...I know you now have a lot of um, extra unwanted helpings on your plate and I'll be thinking of you...:)

    ReplyDelete